From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Munawar Bijani
Sent: October 25, 2008 7:41 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] we are far behind the mainstream market in one
bigaspect

Hi,
I think the real challenge here is not getting two input devices to control
two separate entities at the same time--this is very easily done if the game
is coded properly and made to accomodate very generic input from the
start--rather, preventing one player from being confused by another's audio
output would be difficult. For instance, if SAPI outputs some messages,
unless each player uses a different voice, it would be difficult to tell
whose status the engine is outputting. Even if the game uses two different
voices for both players, and say if player 1 issues a status command and
player 2 does the same, player 1's status would be cut off (since in real
time games it would give player 1 and unfair advantage if player 2 has to
wait for player 1's status to finish.)

In contrast, in visual games, sound is not that big of a deal, and splitting
the screen into player 1 and player 2 areas is not difficult to do--this is
how the Nintendo 64 did it with 007: Golden Eye when you initiated
multiplayer mode; which made it easy to hook up four controllers at the same
time and play without any problems. The audio equivalent of this, I would
think, is to have the user install two sound cards, and both players wear
headsets plugged into either card. Player 1's sound output would come out of
card 1, and likewise for player 2. However, the question then arises as to
whether the user is willing to spend the money to buy two cards (or one
card, since the computer most likely already has one sound card) which will
cost about $100, on top of the extra keyboard or joystick for a second input
device, on top of the price of the game, which would probably be $30.00
minimum. As a developer, all this has to be factored in and you get to your
final answer of "is it worth it to implement this technology?" Based on how
the market currently is, probably not.
Munawar A. Bijani
Are you certain you will awaken from bed tomorrow?
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bpcprograms.com