I like the first option.
the only thing though, is you really need to set it for single enemy only, I
don't want a big list unless it is a list ofcause then I select one lock it,
etc.
in sod and other such games for example depending on the direction I know when
it is in front and definately with the drum allert know when its behind.
I know if its aproximitly in front of me i should hit it.
Saying it that I do then use the distance key for shortrange weapons and
sometimes longrange weapons.
I would have a key that would tell me that info on you system and maybe have
some sort of lock on thing where you get in range of it and it of you.
Although in sod night of parasite, etc its possible to get in a position where
the enemy can see you but you are not in a position to fire back, ie something
is blocking even though you could be about in range.