I'll be interested in giving this a try in the future.

---
Gun control only controls the guns of lawful citizens while placing them in control of the unlawful ones. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Getting target distance and direction.

Hi James,
Like I said I've been trying to design a targeting system similar to
that of GTC. If there are no currently selected targets, and there is an
enemy in range, the game will automatically default to that target. You
can use the n key to track or target other enemies that come in to
attack range if you want. When you kill an enemy it will automatically
attempt to site another enemy in range, or if there is nothing else to
target it will not solect anything. I don't think its going to be too
difficult to use.
Smile.

James Dietz wrote:
How about an option where your radar/scope targets the closest enemy
automatically? While playing Tank Commander I often found myself
wanting to destroy another target while forgetting that "n" was the
key to switch (either that or I'd need to switch through too many
before I found my mark). This would make things more intuitive
(depending on how it's implemented).

Hi Lukas,
Good point. One thing to keep in mind here is because we are dealing
with an actual 3d environment, not just 3d audio, that is definitely
going to add complexity to my future titles.
For example, targeting is going to be a bit more complex then most
accessible game players are certainly use to. Depending on if the enemy
is above, below, or level with you your weapon has to be raised or
lowered in addition to facing the target. Lining up a target can be
tricky, and I hope the additional complexity there doesn't throw too
many people off.
Another area of complexity is just navigation itself. I don't know how
many times I've read complaints from gamers who have difficulty with a
game such as Shades of Doom, Sarah, or Teraformers. Well, if they are
having difficulty with a 2d level layout adding a full 3d level layout
is going to be more difficult for them. Not only will they have the
typical north, south, east, and west directions but have to climb up and
down on ropes, vines, ladders, staircases, whatever as well. Thus moving
around is not only more realistic, but much harder to present in an
audio only format.
Let's say you want to give the player a really tricky room. Maybe you
need to skale a wall to get to a lever that releases a trap door in the
floor. Once you climb up there, pull the lever, jump back to the floor,
you can open the trap door and descent into a room below the one you are
in to get the gold and gems hidden there. Sounds cool here, but imagine
trying to let the gamer know all that with audio only. Especially, if
you can't just skale straight up the wall, and instead have to climb
left and right looking for handholds to pull yourself up to the lever.
That's not easy to clearly communicate to a totally blind player.
Smile.

Lukás Hosnedl wrote:

Hi,
yeah, I would definitely prefer the second, more involved way for
separate commands for each particular piece of information, and maybe
one overal review command to get a view of the entire situation, maybe
when the game is paused, or you are simply in no immediate danger of
being killed while listening to the long list of the various enemy's
positions. :-D
I don't mind a more complex and detailed interface to control the
game, even if it's not common among the blind gaming community yet and
requires a steeper learning curve and more getting used to than is
usual, if only it can provide me with exactly what I need effectively
and quickly. It wasn't probably even needed to include a more thorough
targetting or other systems in games like SOD, GTC, etc, since they
aren't as complex as you probably intend to make your ffuture
creations. But I do certainly think that an engine like Genesis 3D,
with all its potential and usage possibilities, should definitely
handle targetting and information presentation in general in such a
proficient way.
Lukas