Hi,
Agreed. It's sad because when .NET was first released it looked so promising, but I think the main factor the market will end up moving away from it is the same reason people don't favor Java: it's not native code and can be decompiled using Reflector or Microsoft's own ILDisassembler into raw source code. It's good for large corporations because they have the money to spend on security, but it's too costly for lone developers. For instance, I've spent about $200 just for a security patch. Otherwise, the TDV source code would be all over the net.

From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 13, 2009 2:24 PM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Important MOTA Announcement

Hi Dark,
Oh, I certainly do realize that. I think the major question is weather I should do the conversion now or later. If I do it later I'm only delaying what I plan to do anyway. I've already decided to rewrite the Genesis Engine in C++ for all of my future FPS and side-scroller projects. So the choice is I can either do it now developing it along side MOTA, testing it, debugging it, etc so that future games will get done quicker, or I can put it off until next year and still have to do it anyway. Personally, I'm of the opinion it is better in the long hall to go ahead and do it now so the conversion is done and over with. If I hurry up and get the game done now, using .NET, I'm just waisting time to get a few people off my back, to get the game out of my hair, and then will turn around in a year maybe two and convert it to C++ anyway. So it ends up putting off the inevitable. Bottom line, I've already decided .NET is history as far as any new projects are concerned. Once the new STFC comes out it will no longer use .NET, the development release of Raceway no longer uses .NET, and I'd prefer just to stop using .NET for MOTA as well. Make a clean and final break from that API. It is a good development API, has good languages, but based on personal experience isn't the best option for games unfortunately.

*Smile*