Hi,
Yeah, I'm beginning to find that out myself. To be honest when I began
playing Entombed I treated it in much the same way I'd play any other
RPG type game such as Sryth. I'd try and give my character as many
skills as possible, and not focus on any specific skill/power. Only
problem is that kind of thinking is exactly what will get you killed.
However, in my latest game I decided to focus my skill points on
specific skills. Especially, those that have always came in handy.
Like I have a half-elf mage necro who has ice blast trained up to
level 5. In most cases he can kill most enemies with one attack. A
direct attack to the Goblin King's head drops him stone dead in a
single attack. So with the right skills/powers ttrained up right those
are the key to winning for sure.
As for the Goblin King's so-called guards you are right. If you have a
special attack those guys go down pretty easy. in my last game I used
a confusion scroll to screw up the King, and unleashed my forces on
direct attacks on the guards. They all dropped like flies, and then we
ganged up and took out the King. Was really quite fun and interesting
to watch the Goblin King when he was both confused while my characters
leveled him with ice blasts direct to the head. Needless to say he
didn't put up much of a defence. Lol!