Hi Dark,
Agreed. If I had managed to release Montezuma's Revenge it would have
been an arcade game too, but it would not be a Space Invaders type
game. Therefore I think there needs to be an identification here
between side-scroller and Space Invader clones of arcade games. In
fact, if you have ever noticed on my web site I have both a genre and
style catagory so I can specifically describe the type of game I'm
producing.
For example, on my web site Final Conflict is placed under the
strategy genre and turn-based style of game play. If I had Sound RTS
put up there it also would be listed as strategy, but the style would
be declared as real time based rather than turn based. So the style
and genre descriptions are equally important here.