Hi Charles,
It is all relative. Some game companies are into heavy 5.1 surround
sound while some developers might only use sound for ambiance.
For example, there is a Linux Asteroids clone called Vectoroids. It is
a really cool game, but there is no surround sound or panning so you
never know where to shoot using sound alone. Sounds are just static.
However, I have played some mainstream games were everything is placed
in a 5.1 surround sound setup where you hear things all around you. So
it all depends on the developer and how interested they are in
reproducing a 3d sound environment etc.