From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 7:08 PM
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: [Audyssey] MOTA Good News/Bad News

Hi everyone,
Ok, I have some good news and bad news regarding the ongoing research
into the stop error, AKA Blue Screen of Death,  created when exiting
Mysteries of the Ancients.
The good news is a couple of you have sent me a copy of your minidump
files which has allowed me to extract the stop error code the BSOD
displayed shortly before Windows goes down for the count. as expected
the stop error code relates to a memory access violation of some kind.
The bad news is that particular error code, stop error 0x10000050,
usually indicates faulty memory. I'm not saying that your memory is
actually faulty only that Windows XP thinks your memory is faulty for
some reason. Unless of course you are over 70 and memory is the first
thing to go. Just kidding.
Seriously though, apparently when the program exits forsome reason
Windows can't access a block of memory for some reason, signals a page
fault, blue screens, and reboots. Why this doesn't happen on every
single Windows computer out there is beyond me, but thats what I've
found out so far.
Now, that I have some idea of what is causing the crash I can go
through and hopefully discover what isn't getting uninitialized before
exiting. There is apparently something hanging on to a block of memory
when the program closes and Windows gets a bit tempermental about it,
and wants it back. In short the BSOD is like Windows throwing a temper
tantrem.
"Its mine. That is my memory, and you can't have it. Give it back.
Give it back. Mommie, make him give it back. Fine, I'll just shut down
and reboot."
And who says computers don't have personalities?

Hahahahaha!