Hi Tom,

Yes, commercial game developers have special tools, an engine, that
takes some of the drudge work out of developing games, but there is
still plenty of programming that needs done. A Basic game engine
contains a high level wrapper for things like input, sound, music,
vidio, speech, etc and then offers it to the developer via a scripting
language like Lua or can be included directly into a C/C++ project.
Esentially this is exactly what BGT does. BGT is a fully qualified
game engine, and takes the drudge work out of handling DirectInput,
DirectSound, Sapi, the Win32 API, etc on your own. Instead Philip has
wrapped all those components into a common interface and has provided
a scripting language, Angelscript, to interface with the core engine.
Although, there is a lot of programming to be done to create a game
with BGT it saves you weeks, perhaps months, of time creating an
input, sound, and speech core. With BGT it is already there and ready
to go meaning you can start directly on the game without all the truly
drudge work of creating an engine in the first place. This is exactly
how commercial game engines work too.

Smile.