Hi.
Ah, ok just read what you said about the alt key not being an option at least for now. Hmm, context key? Probably has the same problem alt does, and it's so unconventional anyway. only thing I can think of tonight is having code that ensures the program knows the control key is still being depressed and not interrupting until it is let up, then depressed again. Can't just use something similar to keyPressed in auto it as aposed to keyDown, because keyDown is needed for all those other functions, but the code for the key could reinvent the wheel just when it came to the speech part while still being similar to auto it's key down. There must be a reason you didn't do that already. If it's a loop, auto it can say something like,

I've forgotten auto it syntax so here's some plain english in sort of vb syntax
if keyDown(ctrl)=true then 'check if ctrl key is pressed down right now
if ctrlKeyDown=false then 'check if our variable has been set by a previous loop to say the key was down at that point, iow was it already pressed ctrlKeyDown=true 'tell the program the key is pressed so this code won't process next go around
speechInterrupt() 'interrupt speech
end if
elseIf keyDown(ctrl)=false then 'check if ctrl is not pressed
ctrlKeyDown=false 'the variable is set to say the key isn't down
end if

Hope you don't find my code contribution annoying, I know some people do, just figured I'd mention it just in case you didn't think of the obvious. My guess would be there's just something I don't know about involved that means you can't do it like that.
Sent with Thunderbird 3.1.10 portable.