I know that you don't know exactly what is going on about the Montezuma titles. I was just wondering what was going on since the original Montezuma's Revenge was not developed by Utopia and was released before Windows was an operating system for PC.
Such the original Montezuma game is theoretically classed as Abandonware.
And I am also not sure what the status of the Montezuma's Return from 1998 is or was when you got your problems with it. And even if you got problems or James North could have gotten into problems, then the question to ask would have been is the Name protected, or is the game and the content also protected. If "just" the name and/or character(s) is protected, then you can make Mota 3d with no problems. But since Mota 3d could be an audio clone of any Tomb Raider game, someone might take offense to this while you do not create a new Tomb Raider title without permission. I mean, how many Asteroids and Tetris games or games like the original are out there? I also know more than one Pacman game and no one has them thrown out of business. Hell, Phil Vlasak should be in more legal danger than you had been for the game concept (not the name) of Monti for his Sarah game, allthough he did not copy an original Harry Potter character, he copied Hogwarts to some extend and there are also licensed Harry Potter games and other products on the market.