Actually I think this is a bit tricky.  While I think Dark is correct that some
newer developers would need more time, I also think that some of the other
developers would only need the month.  If you give people too much time it can
cause just as many problems as when they are too short on time.

I'll use myself as an example since I don't plan to participate anyway.  If I
were given 3 months to work on a game, I would likely feel "finished" after
only a few weeks.  Basically my plans for the game would have all been
implemented and I would feel that I'd ironed out the bugs.  The extra time
would either be wasted or I would attempt to tack-on additional things to the
game.

If I had stopped super early I will likely lose to someone who used every bit
of their available time.  If I had slowly added more, there would be a very
real risk that the features wouldn't seem well balanced or would be very buggy
since none of them were in the original plan for the game.  If you just
finished the last sentence in a novel and someone tells you to quickly throw in
a new main character, something just won't feel right in the end since
everything will have to be changed around to even make the addition possible.

If we had built a space invaders game and suddenly had to add an enemy that
sounds like "pew pew" to the existing group that goes "pow pow" it isn't really
an issue.  I'm referring to game features that are a little bigger than this,
hehe!

I think the other issue will be the length of time that programmers can plan
out.  I for one, am not very good at this.  If I was given 1 month to work on a
game, I would have to plan out a design that would use up as much of that month
as possible without going over.  This would end up with the least amount of
wasted time and the most complex game at the end.  Making that kind of judgment
while just planning out a game's idea is tricky, but the longer the span of
time, the harder it becomes.  If I had 2 or 3 weeks I think I could pretty
accurately judge the time.  If I had a month I'd likely just stick with a 2 or
3 week plan.  If you gave me 3 months I wouldn't have the slightest idea what I
could or could not add to get me close to that deadline.  So the contest would
come down to who was better at making that guess, and thus, had time to finish
their game.

Yes I used myself for the example, but the idea is that every programmer has
their own comfort zone for creating a game and for being able to plan features
within that deadline.  I can't say whether a month is good or bad for most of
the developers who will be involved, but I just can't imagine trying to plan
out 3 months of work and even being close to correct at the end.  Haha, perhaps
I'm just projecting my own shortcomings on to other developers.  :D

And also, I might be over thinking this whole thing.  :)