Clement, you've just put into words something that's been on my mind for a while
spacial awareness is a verylarge factor in modern fighting games
especially now with the upgrades in sound.
another example is in mk, i try to go the whole fight without using
scorpion's spear as then it will help me get used to where the
characters are on the screen without me having to rely on a move that
brings them in close all the time.
that's also another use for beginner mode, as it can help you gage hit
distances based on where you are in relation to them.

i'm not sure how useful that was, and i'm certainly not claiming to be
a fighting game expert, far from it.
just giving my current experience.
now there's a use for mobility that I bet wasn't thought of by the
instructures. :D