True that. And that'd be an interesting idea... if there was someone around honestly willing to try out the designs I would have no problem working on this with them. I mention slowing it down though because you would have to hear the sound and react accordingly... in typical fighting games, I have to react instantly. I can't wait for the sound of a shoryuken and then block... the input frames don't allow that in a game. What you're suggesting, is the sound playing, and the player having the appropriate time to block which would logically be about a half second, and that to me would be a detrament to the game's pace, because then all a player would probably do out of caution is wait for the player to attack, thus never going on the offense. As to having differently positioned attack sounds, the only thing you would need to know is that it was a jumping kick. As you said, fighting is not an exact science, and one doesn't need to hear just how deep the kick is... that's a visual aspect of it which isn't necessary if developing a purely audio fighter, since the only reason that it happens to be possible is because the sprights are there to have that measured. In an audio fighter though it really wouldn't matter, but a good sound for low attacks would be workable, since that would be the only sound you would need to block low. You said that you can't instantly react to a move in a video game if you aren't sighted... this may be true, however, you couldn't do that in an audio game either unless you had enough delay between the sounds of the attack coming out and attack landing. But this would be a problem of its own considering that one has to time combos properly. I'm sure you know what a combo is, but I'll define it anyway for those who are watching this discussion from the sidelines as it's a critical piece of information in fighting games. A combo is, basically, a string of hits. However, it's a string of hits during which the opponent cannot react in any way after the first hit. A god example is Ryu's jumping roundhouse kick, followed by his crouching fierce punch, his fierce shoryuken canceled into his shinkuhadouken in SF 4. That is the example because, as stated, after the opponent cannot block or counter after that jumping kick if it hits them.. However, if they block the jumping kick, they leave the opponent with two options. One, they will drop the combo to save time, which sometimes happens. Or, as I myself like to do, they will finish it in what is called a block string, which takes away a smaller amount of damage due to the block, but still left them unable to do anything until the string was finished. That's also another problem in developing a fighter, you have to make the combo system work and not just program inputs to chain together, otherwise you will have tons and tons of infinites, if you know what that is. I'm actually quite curious as to what could be done about that, since I have no knowledge of programming. Games with graphics use frames to determine the combos possibilities and damage-scaling, but I'm not sure how that could be done purely on an audio basis. I see what you're getting at, but I think the problem is what you're trying to do is convey information that just isn't there. In audio it doesn't matter whether the kick is vertical or horrizontal or how much of an angle it has. Whether it's high or low is the only thing of any consequence, and although we want to convey as much information as possible that information just isn't there to provide anyway. All that there is is there are two characters with different movesets fighting it out. Character details can be worked out, but there's no basis to work on whether one kick is a spinning heel sweep or a hapkido flying side kick. That's really up to the player's imagination here... that's all a description of the moves would do. And I didn't mean complexity as in hard to understand... I meant complexity as too many audio sounds to memorize is just what the blind community has right now, no matter what information is given. I in theory as the programmer could have six different sounds for six different variations of the same kick. One for upward-hitting, one for jump-ins, one for sweeps, onr for a diagonal doward dive kick and one standing forward roundhouse. But some games already do that... and the reason a lot of blind people stay away from mainstream games is not just memorization of menus, but the complexity that comes with these games. Blind people don't want to work while playing a game, and a fighting game that would be simple to you and me would have so many sounds most blind people would say that it has too many sounds to be accessible. At least, that's what I see on lists and forums dealing wth this matter. I'm curious to see what other ideas are in your head though... you have me intrigued and quite interested since again, I've never really sceen a need for it... and while I find it unnecessary, it's nevertheless interesting to have that discussion, because I see people who talk all the time about having an audio version of mortal kombat, an audio version of a fighting game... and all of it just irritates me because those people don't come up with the reasons and ideas you do, they just say they want it, because it'd be easier to play. The truth is, any fighting that is made well, audio or video, will have the same information, hopefully, and thus be just as complex... ----- Original Message ----- From: "dark" <d...@xgam.org>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2012 12:10 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] audio fighting game was: Re: Game accessibility was,Re: FINALLY! There is a Wii game for the blind!

Hi clemment.

As I said, currently I just am not convinced you get enough information about what moves are happening. yes, you can learn them, but you couldn't instantly identify them.

a vertical position sound would not be exact, but would at least let you know where a move was hitting, and thus give you a better idea what was going on.

As for it being too complex, well I really don't see the problem there. you already have different hit soundds in streeetfighter for the use of light, medium, and heavy attacks, this would just be a question of using a similar system for attacks pointed at the head, abdoman, or legs of your character. Of course it wouldn't be an exact system, but fighting isn't an exact science, it would however let you know where to block.

there would also bbe no need to slow it down either.

As to positional audio, as I said from what I've noticed thus far the positional audio in the game is absolute, not relative.

if you and the opponent are both on the left of the arena, you here both! sets of sounds to the left, not yours in the center and your opponents to the left relative to his/her position.

My suggestions were made to give a blind player as much access to information during a match of a game they'd never played before as a sighted player, and were meant with that aime.

Beware the grue!