Hi Kevin,

I hate to say it, but that's usually the case. Far too many people associate side-scrollers with games like Super Liam or Q9 when to be honest they are not even close to what a mainstream gamer thinks of when you mention side-scroller to them. If mainstream side-scrollers were that simplistic I don't think they would have lasted as long as they have for mainstream consoles.

Clear back as early as 1984 Montezuma's Revenge was far more challenging and advanced than Super Liam. You basically were in an Aztec pyramid with several chambers above, below, to the left, and right of the room you were in. There were colored keys to unlock doors, chains to climb up/down, vanishing platforms to jump on, gems hanging in the air you had to jump up and grab, etc. Then, some of the skulls bounced up and down forcing you to try and duck under them as you ran, and other skulls rolling on the ground you had to jump over. You had to use torches to light dark rooms, and certain levels were completely blacked out. So even then, by the early 180's, the mainstream games were light years ahead of something like Super Liam or Q9.

Of course, as time went on they even got more advanced. There are too many changes and different things added to mainstream side-scrollers over the years to name them all, but they are still being developed, and older side-scrollers are still being offered as downloads for various consoles. However, needless to say, our perspective of what a side-scroller is happens to be very limited in scope compared to the hundreds of mainstream side-scrollers our sighted peers play, and yet most blind gamers continue to associate the term side-scroller with those few games we have.

Cheers!