What I meant, is that it doesn't matter how good a game is if it doesn't run on your box.
Right now they do but sooner or later they won't.
At 05:46 p.m. 27/03/2012 -0400, you wrote:

Shaun,

I beg to disagree. Some of the classic side-scrollers out there don't have fantastic graphics and are still enjoyed by many people. Something like the original Donkey Kong for Atari didn't have fantastic graphics but the game play was very very challenging. Only a small handful of people actually completed the game because of the difficulty involved. Many retro gamers still play the game despite the fact it is at least 25 years old.

As for the comment about legacy languages that has nothing to do with it. How good a game is depends more on the programmer not the tools and languages to write it. Yes, there may be some limitations such as game x won't run on certain platforms or that language x can't use a better API, but a well written game will always be a good game regardless of language, API, and tools.

For example, Shades of Doom is probably the most well known and liked game by the audio gaming community. It was written in Visual Basic 6, uses DirectX 8, and uses all legacy software and languages. However, the fact it was written using legacy programming APIs and tools has no effect on Shades of doom being a well designed, very decent, 2d FPS similar to Doom.

Cheers!