From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Damien Pendleton
Sent: 22 April 2012 12:56
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] LWorks

Hi Thomas,
One blind guy did attempt to show me. In fact, if it hadn't been for him, I
wouldn't have got my IPhone set up at all. But he had to spend over two
hours on the phone setting the stupid thing up. Then when it was set up he
tried to tell me what to do with it, and I was constantly getting it wrong.
Then it ended up locking, and I couldn't get it unlocked. When I finally
did, after about another half an hour, it took me ages to access things.
Roughly five minutes to go from item to item trying to figure out how to
activate it and see what was there. Over the next two weeks I was using it
I'd had conversation after conversation with person after person after
person who was trying their level best to tell me how to do something, and I

still didn't get anywhere. I was scandalised, I felt like I was having to
sit there like a four or five year old learning their alphabet. I couldn't
even do something as simple as dial a phone number without sitting there for

five minutes, and I couldn't access my phonebook at all. And due to past
experiences with companies being inconsiderable or in some cases downright
rude and disrespectful to disabled people, I believed that the IPhone was
just another one of those. Sometimes I feel like sighted people rub their
ability to see in our faces and laugh at us. And that's why I believed it to

be a con. It almost feels like we get used to one method, then they see how
well we cope with it, so they change it just to throw us off track again so
they can tap around like there's no tomorrow and sit there and see us
struggling for five or ten minutes to find an item trying to get used to the

new interface.
Again, I can see why it would be more convenient for sighted people. No
scrolling, no highlighting or single/double clicking, just a single tap in a

location on screen, and they've got what they want. And why not have that
option available, but also keep traditional input methods in as well for
people who might struggle with that.
Regards,
Damien.