Dark,

The way that the Alter Aeon game server is set up, we currently have
to use the same timebase for everyone.  When we have people grouping
and interacting with each other, it doesn't make sense to have one
person fighting at half the speed of the other.  I understand your
point that as a solo player, you'd like to play at your own pace, but
the server currently doesn't have any way to do that.  With the
current server design, if the server tries to wait on any one person,
the game will hang for everyone until that person is done.

Because of that, I have to pick one, single timebase, a timebase that
hopefully works for everyone.  Naturally, this means that pretty much
noone likes it, but that the complaints are roughly equal in
direction.

This idea of forced timing is probably the major difference between
muds and interactive fiction.  With IF, you can just wait and think
about what you want to do.  On a mud, the game world pulls you along,
and you go along with it whether you want to or not.

In a lot of ways this is a shame, because as you mentioned, Alter Aeon
really does have a lot of beautifully described things in it.
Aggressive monsters in particular are very hard to look at - even if
the fight lasts a long time, you still have to pay more attention to
the combat than the description.

Now that I think about it, aggressive monsters are probably the worst
case for this, and adding your preview command would go a long way to
taking the edge off of it.  I'll raise its priority to get
implemented.

I'll also take a look at slowing the global timebase down a little
bit.  We added some code a while back that I think will allow us to do
that without damaging the response and ping times.

Thanks for your comments.

-dentin

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com