Hi Quentin,

The Solitaire type Mahjong is only one variation on the Mahjong game.
There are actually several different variations of Mahjong with
different rules. and are played differently depending on the type of
game. Like a standard deck of playing cards there are a number of
different Mahjong games using the same tiles.

Cheers!