Tom:  You say that "Comparatively speaking Windows 98 is to Windows 7 as
record players are to CD players." They're not the same? They both play circular disks, don't they? (ornery grin)

To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2012 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Accessible Checkers, Mahjong

Hi Dark,

That makes two of us. I've never gotten the APH games to run either.
However, I do believe they were written several years ago, and don't
think they are being actively maintained by the developer. I'm not
sure if this is intentional or ignorance on APH's part.

Last time I looked at them I recall the specs were for a Windows 98
machine. Obviously, that would be a big reason for them not running on
modern PCs. Comparatively speaking Windows 98 is to Windows 7 as
record players are to CD players. So much has changed under the hood
that many older games wont run correctly unless they are updated to
meet the current changes in technology. That is the bane of any
developer's existance, because sooner or later an application needs to
be updated or rewritten to meet current changes in spec.

In this case the games don't even seem to run well on Windows XP. I've
got a relatively newer desktop from 2007 or so running XP SP3 and the
games won't even run on that let alone my new laptop running Windows
7. So I think a major upgrade is in order for the APH games.

Cheers!