Hi Cara,

Good question. I would probably develop some audio side-scrollers for
the iPhone given that style of game play is well suited to the iPhone,
and the input for such games doesn't have to be overly complex. I
would likely base the input on gestures given that it is more
intuitive and less of a hassle dragging your finger left/right,
up/down, or tapping the screen, etc. Keyboards have their place, but
if we are developing a game for a portable device like an iPhone or
iPad then we want the game to be as portable as possible. If someone
is riding the bus to work, waiting in a doctors office, etc chances
are they won't have a keyboard with them unless they are in the habit
of carrying one around. It is much handier in my opinion just to take
advantage of the touchscreen interface that comes with the device.
After all, part of the popularity of Apple's iPhone, iPad, and similar
devices is they offer a touchscreen interface that is usually easier
to interact with than a keyboard.

I know from experience developing my Windows titles that using the
mouse for input is quicker and less straining than a keyboard. I can
just pull the mouse left or right to walk in that direction, push
forward to climb, or pull down to decend. It is imo just easier than
pushing and holding the arrow keys to perform those same actions. A
touchscreen is similar if you can just gesture left, right, up, down,
etc to get the same result.

Cheers!