HiYohandy,

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to remap or reassign keys in NVDA.
NVDA's screen review commands are based on the old ASAP screen reader
rather than Jaws which is a big reason why it is unfamiliar to you.
However, once you get use to it the screen review isn't that bad. It
even makes sense in its own way. Here is a quick overview.

Read Prior Line: numpad-7
Read Current Line: numpad-8
Read Next Line: Numpad+9
Read Prior Word: numpad-4
Read Current Word: numpad-5
Read Next Word: Numpad+6
Read Prior Character: numpad-1
Read Current Character: numpad-2
Read Next Character: Numpad+3
Read Entire Document: numpad-plus

That's just the basics. Usually what I do if I want to review a screen
in a text adventure is I'll press insert+7 on the numpad to route the
review cursor to the caret, and then use numpad-7 until I get to the
top of the window and use numpad-9 to read through the text line by
line. As I said earlier using NVDA is a bit like the old ASAP screen
reader for Dos, and fortunately I had some experience with it so the
review commands weren't totally new to me. However, I'd be happy to
help people further with NvDA off list.

Cheers!