Hi Damien,

You and Dark are absolutely right that cost of producing braille
material and using braille is far beyond the means of any average
blind person. That is definitely one of the leading causes of why
braille is dying out among the blind community. Its just too high to
be practical for someone on a fixed income. Unless this changes
braille probably will become a minority skill for blind users world
wide.

As you pointed out a braille writer is extremely expensive. I believe
here in the USA a braille writer costs about $850  last time I
checked, and all it does is write braille. For that kind of money I
can buy a brand new laptop, put NVDA on it, get Microsoft Office, and
throw in a printer too for the price of that braille writer.  So the
cost of the specialized braille writer really isn't cost effective now
that computer technology can be purchased at a mere fraction of what
it cost 20 years ago.

That's not even considering the cost of a decent braille printer these
days. I haven't priced braille printers in a while, but seems to me I
paid about $2,500 for the one I used in high school and college.
Regardless of the actual price tag I have never gotten enough use of
it to really have been a worthwhile investment. That's not even
considering the cost of a ream of braille paper which is much more
than a ream of print paper.

The wireless Focus 40 braille displays from Freedom Scientific, which
I really like, start out at $2,795 USD. That's not exactly pocket
change for the average blind computer user, and I doubt I would have
considered buying one if I didn't use it for programming. Bottom line,
as everyone agrees braille displays aren't cost effective for the
average blind computer user. There just isn't any incentive to pay
that kind of money when speech output will do most of the time.

Of course, this argument might apply to any kind of specialized tech
in general. I remember in the early 1990's, perhaps 1992, I got my
first Braille N' Speak. At the time they were going for $2,500 round
figures. While that sounds extremely expensive you need to remember
that a laptop with Windows 3.1 on it would easily go for $2,000
without Jaws for Dos, Jaws for Windows, and a hardware synthesizer.
When you added in the adaptive software and the hardware synthesizer a
person was looking at $4,000 to $5,000 for an accessible laptop
computer. So in that light a Braille N' Speak was very cost effective
at the time. However, the laptop I purchased this fall only cost me
$325, NVDA cost me nothing, and we don't use hardware synthesizers any
more so with tax and all I got the new laptop for under $400. That's a
huge difference in price, and one reason something like a Braille N'
Speak probably wouldn't sell today for those kinds of prices.

Cheers!