From: gamers-boun...@audyssey.org [mailto:gamers-boun...@audyssey.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Ward
Sent: 07 August 2012 11:51
To: Gamers Discussion list
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] N A Soft is back and I'm looking for some
testerswith Braille displays.

Hi Damien,

You and Dark are absolutely right that cost of producing braille material
and using braille is far beyond the means of any average blind person. That
is definitely one of the leading causes of why braille is dying out among
the blind community. Its just too high to be practical for someone on a
fixed income. Unless this changes braille probably will become a minority
skill for blind users world wide.

As you pointed out a braille writer is extremely expensive. I believe here
in the USA a braille writer costs about $850  last time I checked, and all
it does is write braille. For that kind of money I can buy a brand new
laptop, put NVDA on it, get Microsoft Office, and throw in a printer too for
the price of that braille writer.  So the cost of the specialized braille
writer really isn't cost effective now that computer technology can be
purchased at a mere fraction of what it cost 20 years ago.

That's not even considering the cost of a decent braille printer these days.
I haven't priced braille printers in a while, but seems to me I paid about
$2,500 for the one I used in high school and college.
Regardless of the actual price tag I have never gotten enough use of it to
really have been a worthwhile investment. That's not even considering the
cost of a ream of braille paper which is much more than a ream of print
paper.

The wireless Focus 40 braille displays from Freedom Scientific, which I
really like, start out at $2,795 USD. That's not exactly pocket change for
the average blind computer user, and I doubt I would have considered buying
one if I didn't use it for programming. Bottom line, as everyone agrees
braille displays aren't cost effective for the average blind computer user.
There just isn't any incentive to pay that kind of money when speech output
will do most of the time.

Of course, this argument might apply to any kind of specialized tech in
general. I remember in the early 1990's, perhaps 1992, I got my first
Braille N' Speak. At the time they were going for $2,500 round figures.
While that sounds extremely expensive you need to remember that a laptop
with Windows 3.1 on it would easily go for $2,000 without Jaws for Dos, Jaws
for Windows, and a hardware synthesizer.
When you added in the adaptive software and the hardware synthesizer a
person was looking at $4,000 to $5,000 for an accessible laptop computer. So
in that light a Braille N' Speak was very cost effective at the time.
However, the laptop I purchased this fall only cost me $325, NVDA cost me
nothing, and we don't use hardware synthesizers any more so with tax and all
I got the new laptop for under $400. That's a huge difference in price, and
one reason something like a Braille N'
Speak probably wouldn't sell today for those kinds of prices.

Cheers!