Hi Sarah.

I agree. The first game I bought was shades of doom, and it is still! a game I stick on occasionally for a quick blast, even though i bought it nearly 7 years ago now, that is very different from the pizza it I ate last night which is now (mostly), gone.

As to mainstream games, you make a good point there too, and I certainly know plenty of people who do not buy games upon first release, but tend to wait and see what their friends or reviews say, indeed some people at my rp group tend to borrow games from friends before bomitting cash.

It is also worth noting that often with mainstream games, the games are so long that even if a player does not like particular segments or aspects of the game, there is very much more that they will! like.

For example, my brother was not a fan of the structure in final fantasy 13, because unlike other final fantasy games it did not provide the ability to wander around the world and explore until you got to nearly the very end of the game, and also it rewarded people for quick, aggressive playing that gambles heavily on the odds to win rather than the more tactical and highly prepared but sure to win style my brother prefers.

All this being said however there was a great deal in the game he did! enjoy, including the plot and characters, as well as the setting and certain aspects of the equip and party system, and he'd thus be quite likely to buy another ff game for those aspects despite his dislike of several things in 13.

Audio games however are never so wide or diverse in this way and odds are if you don't like certain aspects of them at the start, other aspects won't change your mind later on because with allowances for difficulty changing and so on, even a game like Entombed has a similar gameplay and style at the start to what it does at the end.

Beware the Grue!