Jeremy,

It's highly unlikely that the attacks you're seeing are from your
players.  There's not really any incentive for them, and direct
attacks are so easy to track back that if it were one of your players,
you should be able to smash them easily.

I say this because we get literally thousands of such attacks a month
on the Alter Aeon server.  They come from all over the world and in
all different types, from attempts on our forum and wiki to portscans
to common backdoors and brute force ssh login attempts.  The automated
attack of login names and passwords hits us between five and ten times
daily.  I don't even bother to pay attention to the reports on that
anymore.

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD
http://www.alteraeon.com