Hi Dark,

Yes, exactly. I pointed out the Rail Racer track editor for precisely
that point. Che can allow people to expand the games to their heart's
content, but not in anyway that would prevent him from writing Rail
Racer 2.0 and selling the upgrade to his customers which is a good
compromise for having level editors and things like that.

As you pointed out 2d levels isn't my strong suit, and opening that
area up to end users is one way of taking the work of developing lots
of levels off my shoulders and shifting it to the community at large.
Although, my problem isn't that I can not construct 2d levels its just
that I can always see ways to improve the design by moving to a 3d
format which is more my forte. I think that is do in large part to my
level of exposure to 3d games.

As we've talked about before you have been able to see classic NES and
Super NES games better so mostly stuck to 2d games with simpler
graphics and 2d levels. As for myself while I started out with that
stuff too as soon as the games for the PC came out I was playing
First-Person Shooters and Third-Person Shooters like Jedi Knight, Tomb
Raider, Soldier of Fortune, etc which drastically changed my views on
video games in a fundamental way. No longer could I just move up and
down left and right but I could turn 360 degrees, move up, down, left,
right, forward, backward, and everything in between. You can jump,
dive, roll, crawl, do flips left/right, and all kinds of things 2d
games just don't offer. Now, as a game developer myself I can see how
much more I can do with a 3d level map than just a 2d one. So its not
so much that I am unable to design 2d levels its just that I don't
have as much personal interest in doing so. Still, this is where a 2d
level editor could come into play allowing others to do that for me or
themselves. :D

Cheers!