Today, steven wagner wrote forth saying...

> On my 7.2 box with 2.96 and 3.3.2 compilers, the configure and build appear
> work OK - running the resulting gmond yields:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] gmond]$ ./gmond
> Couldn't create socket
>
> The test daemon then exits to shell.

interesting... i think i have a 7.2 box here that i can track that problem
on.  is the 7.2 box just a vanilla 7.2 or a tweak'd out ilm custom jobber?

> On my SuSE 9.1 system (which is somewhat mroe vanilla), it configures, builds
> and runs in foreground without complaint, but I don't seem to be able to
> connect via localhost:8649...

that because the port the "test" gmond runs is 8021 not 8649 (to avoid
port conflicts).  try 8021 (when you have a minute) and let me know how it
goes.

-matt