Yeah, I didn't really know what the devs would prefer -- take my two-line patch as a way to point out the problem, rather than as the fix I expect to be committed.

Mark explained about the pid file in his mail -- when the daemons fork, the init scripts write the wrong pids (generally off by one). We can have gmond not fork, and have the init script do that part, but this seems dirty, since gmond has the daemonizing code in it.

Another question:

Is it expected that gmond will be able to absorb broadcast data from lots of other gmonds? Even at < 1000 hosts, I start to see gmond get rather large (>150 Mb). The only way I've had things work well is to have each gmond send to only one central gmond (which gets large). Have I misconfigured something?

(Also, am I sending this stuff to the right mailing list?)

        -seth