On 23 Feb 2006, at 01:07, Martin Knoblauch wrote:

Hi Matt,

 you may have seen the recent report about problems in apr code which
are solved in later versions. This opens the question how to handle
this for Ganglia.

 Are the versions of apr, expat and confuse shipped with the current
code just unmodified copies of the stuff, or are there ganglia specific
changes in there?

 What are your thoughts on upgrading the stuff to newer versions? Did
you have a strategy/policy for that in the past?

From a packaging POV it's generally nicer to use the shipped versions of these libs dynamically linked, for a variety of reasons. To this end where possible I've changed the build in the debian packages to dynamically link against the distribution's libraries. To this end my 3.0.1 gmetad packages dynamically link agains the distro's apr and expat (but not confuse AFAICS, I suspect that's a bug).

It all seems to work ok, and there are a few people out there using my packages (it can't go into debian till the glibc code problem is resolved).

Stu