--- Alex Balk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm
> >>>
> >> Hi Brooks,
> >>
> >>  good point. Now I remember the same. Time for a session with
> "diff"
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> Martin
> >>
> > Matt,
> >
> >  "diff" does not make me happy. It seems our version of apr-0.9.5
> was
> > not a final release. The apr-0.9.5 sources from apache show pretty
> big
> > differences to our stuff.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> I went over the diffs between the version of apr provided w/ Ganglia
> 3.0.2 and apr-0.9.5.
> While I didn't dig too heavily into the code, I've made the following
> observations:
>
>    1. Most of the changes relate to the build process (makefiles
> mostly).
>    2. There are changes to how threads are handled, but they are all
>       internal to apr function implementations.
>    3. There are a few changes to how locks are handled - again,
> inside
>       apr functions.
>    4. Added support for various platforms.
>    5. There seem to be _no changes to function parameters_.
>    6. Only a handful of functions were added, apparently all of them
>       used internally by apr.
>    7. There's no mention of multicast support in Ganglia's version of
> apr.
>    8. A few files are now shipped under version 2 of the Apache
>       license rather than v1.1.

 yeah, the licenses and the build stuff seemed the biggest changes to
me to.

> I believe we can run a test of Ganglia using apr-0.9.5 on several
> platforms to see how we're doing. If this comes out okay, we could
> start looking at newer versions. The reason I'm suggesting we look at
> 0.9.5 first is that changes against our current version don't seem
> significant (0.9.7 doesn't seem like a major bump either but I
> haven't
> gone over the diffs).

 I personally think we should go directly to 0.9.7. It seems to fix
real problems for some people (bugzilla #87). I already did a quick
compile test and everything seems OK from that point.

> This raises another issue, which I believe is significant to the
> development process of Ganglia. At the moment we don't seem to have
> (correct me if I'm wrong) official testers for various platforms.
> Maybe we could have some people volunteer to be official beta
> testers?

 Another reason why I would go directly to 0.9.7. Not enough testers on
to few platforms.

> We wouldn't have to have a release out the door without properly
> testing it under most OS/archs.

 We did last time :-) And it works pretty well. Doing a 3.0.3 with
apr-0.9.7 does not sound a big risk to me.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de