On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 14:43 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
> Giuliano, and also Matt, Martin, Alex, Bernard, Ben and other guru
> types,
>
> From/to like this perhaps? -
> http://www.aouk83.dsl.pipex.com/ganglia-toplevel.png
> and http://www.aouk83.dsl.pipex.com/ganglia-from-to.png
> http://www.aouk83.dsl.pipex.com/
>
> These are only screen shots. The from/to can be selected from drop downs
> or typed explicitely in the text boxes. I cheat and pass the text all
> the
> way to RRDTool, which saves me parsing it, but you are stuck with
> RRDTool's
> idea of date syntax.

i think the to->from feature is sorely needed as well.  i don't think it
would be too hard to convert to rrdtool date formats... php has a number
of time helper functions that could be used to write a rrdtool date
wrapper.  i had a prototype of the to->from feature using a javascript
calendar popup.  there are some nice javascript tools that can do the
heavy lifting for us.

i think that one think this feature might start a debate/conversation
about the best round-robin archive structure to put into the databases.
right now, things are very canned and not particularly flexible... it
assumes you want to see the last hour, day, week, etc... instead of the
last 5 hours, 4 days, etc.  unfortunately, rrdtool (while an awesome
tool) is very rigid about rra configurations.  we have to sorta  hit a
good average deployment but there is no such thing.