Re: fined grained data -

At our site we mostly set 5 or 10 second polls in gmetad,
and the same in the gmond confs. This was requested by our
users. And yes, we have adjusted our RRD configuration in gmetad.conf
to allow a few weeks of 5 second data.

Each of our ganglia severs handle up to 3000 hosts, although
I once earlier had about 5,000 hosts on one servers. The
monitored hosts are almost all windows servers doing HPC.

The ONLY way that this is even remotely possible is by
1) reducing the number of collected metrics to a bare
   essential minimum for HPC (cpu, network, and I/O).
   The cygwin agent is unable to give much more anyway.
2) The RRD storage on servers of up to 100 gigabytes, is
   located on fast SAN storage. The sustained I/O has been up to
   20 gigabytes a second sometimes. And as we all know,
   RRD stands for "Rapid Ruination of Disks".

Why did users want such fine grained data? Well some groups wanted
fine grained data to do "after the fact" forensics, some wanted
immediacy to the graphs, some wanted to make sure that load spikes
did not disappear, and others didn't know what they wanted.
But now our user base is experienced with ganglia, some are reducing
their poll rate (Some users want capacity trending only, say).

Richard Grevis
Production Architecture
Barclays Capital, Canary Wharf, London, E14 4BB
*DDI : +44 (0) 20 7773 4915
 * richard.grevis

Martin Knoblauch
email: k n o b i AT knobisoft DOT de
www:   http://www.knobisoft.de

-
your opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn
cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDE
For more information about Barclays Capital, please visit our web site at
http://www.barcap.com.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the Barclays Group does
not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Although the
Barclays Group operates anti-virus programmes, it does not accept
responsibility for any damage whatsoever that is caused by viruses being
passed.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do
not necessarily represent those of the Barclays Group.  Replies to this email
may be monitored by the Barclays Group for operational or business reasons.