>>> On 10/19/2007 at 4:28 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Martin Knoblauch
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Brad,

Yes, I'm on board with that.  The only reason for reimplementing the core
metrics as python modules would be for the convenience factor.  Python would
make it a little easer to tweak for a platform.  But I am 100% on board with
moving them out of gmond as C interface modules.

>> This would allow gmond to be just the collection and transport
>> daemon  as it should be.  Then the user would have full control over
>> which  metrics they want to allow in their system, which version of a metric
>> they  want to use, allow them the ability to easily tweak a metric for
>> their  particular platform if necessary without having to get into the
>> guts  of gmond to do it.
>
>  Absolutely.
>
>> It would also eliminate the need for the PHP  interface to have to know
>> about gmond vs gmetric metrics.  Everything
>> would  just be a metric.  So in this case, unless your system is running pure
>> C  interface metric modules, python would be a required component.
>>

>  Nothing against making Python required, but as I said I strongly oppose
> making C (or other language) modules second class.

Yep, 100% agree with you.

Brad