>>> On 12/5/2007 at 11:33 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Paul Millar
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thursday 29 November 2007 00:09:20 Brad Nicholes wrote:
> [...]
>> > <METRIC NAME="swap_free" VAL="1999988" TYPE="uint32" UNITS="KB"
>> > TN="81296" TMAX="180" DMAX="0" SLOPE="both" SOURCE="gmond">
>> > <EXTRA_DATA DESC="Amount of available swap memory"/>
>> > <EXTRA_DATA TITLE="swap_free"/>
>>
>> By default the <EXTRA_DATA TITLE> is the same as the metric name.  However
>> if you add a Title="blah" to any Metric{} block in gmond.conf file, that
>> title is reflected in the <EXTRA_DATA TITLE> tag.
>
> Why not simply omit the <EXTRA_DATA_TITLE> if the user doesn't supply it?
>
> If, under these circumstances, it's always going to be the metric name, why
> not have gmetad infer this.  Not including redundant information may save (a
>
> bit) on transfer time.

We could.  I just thought that it might be easier for the web frontend if it
didn't have to worry about whether the TITLE existed or not and could just
count on it being there.  I am guessing that moving forward an alternate user
friendly title will probably be the norm rather than the exception.  At the
moment since the code is in kind of a transition state is seems more like the
exception.

Brad