Nicholes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Marcelo Arenas Belon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 08:38:20AM -0600, Brad Nicholes wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't that what a no-arch devel package should be doing?  Maybe I am
>>> missing
>> what you are really talking about.
>>
>> a gmond C module needs to include gm_mmn.h (for the MAGIC) and metric.h (for
>> the mmodule_struct), but both are gmond private headers and can't be cleanly
>> exported (because they also include libmetrics).
>>
>> for a "devel" package to be possible (so that modules can't be compiled out
>> of
>> the ganglia source tree), those headers should be cleaned and be installed
>> as
>> public headers (most likely in /usr/include/ganglia/).
>>
>> currently the only header that is being exported is "ganglia.h" (installed
>> in
>> /usr/include/) but it doesn't contain a full list of public methods from
>> libganglia and is also not clean to export (as it includes config.h)

Carlo,

I have been taking a look at what headers are needed in order to build a C
module outside of the Ganglia tree.  So far I have determined that the
following headers need to be made publically available:

debug_msg.h
ganglia.h
gm_mmn.h
metric.h
protocol.h

Maybe - error.h(should be renamed to error_msg.h) and scoreboard.h

Are there any other headers that we should consider or can the above list be
consolidated in anyway?  Also, I have been moving all of the public headers
into a new /include directory to try to minimize the include path that is
required to build all of the ganglia components.  Do you think that an include
directory within the ganglia source tree is necessary or should the headers
stay where they are and only be copied during make install?

thoughts?

Brad