On Wednesday 25 June 2008 07:25:43 am Carlo Marcelo Arenas Belon wrote:
> > > which is why I presume fedora ppc and therefore the fedora ppc package
> > > will be 32bit and should be using /usr/lib, right?, therefore the only
> > > builds that should be supported in fedora will be: i386, x86_64 and
> > > ppc.
> >
> > Nope, we'll have i386, x86_64, ppc and ppc64 builds. But unless you
> > specifically request to install the ppc64 version on a ppc64 kernel,
> > you'll get the ppc (32-bit) build installed. We still build everything
> > ppc64 as well as ppc (when it builds), it just doesn't get installed by
> > default.
>
> can you then run the following in a fedora ppc (64bit enabled) system?
>
> $ echo "int main() { return 0; }" > t.c
> $ gcc -c -o t.o t.c
> $ file t.o
> $ gcc -m32 -c -o t.o t.c
> $ file t.o
> $ gcc -m64 -c -o t.o t.c
> $ file t.o
> $ rm -f t.c t.o

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ uname -a
Linux xero.usersys.redhat.com 2.6.25.6-55.fc9.ppc64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 10 15:58:12
EDT 2008 ppc64 ppc64 ppc64 GNU/Linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ echo "int main() { return 0; }" > t.c

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ gcc -c -o t.o t.c

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ file t.o
t.o: ELF 32-bit MSB relocatable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ gcc -m32 -c -o t.o t.c

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ file t.o
t.o: ELF 32-bit MSB relocatable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1 (SYSV), not
stripped

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ gcc -m64 -c -o t.o t.c

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ file t.o
t.o: ELF 64-bit MSB relocatable, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco 7500, version 1
(SYSV), not stripped

As you can see, we also build ppc32 userspace by default, ppc64 only when
explicitly requested.

> > > and then I presume the hack had just backfired and broke the ppc
> > > package?
> >
> > Most likely. Not sure I actually tried a ppc build until taking in the
> > patch that just uses whatever libdir was passed in from the %configure
> > macro.
>
> if all your %configure invocations use --libdir then we should be clean for
> all the builds already.

Yep, --libdir is always passed in by %configure, and things all built fine for
all arches in our build system right now. Initially, powerpc64 builds failed,
then I think one intermediate patch variant might have broken powerpc32
builds (this is the part I didn't actually try on ppc32), and now
everything's all good. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]