Bernard Li wrote:
> Hi Jarod:
>
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Jarod Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Almost. If you do a simple './configure', you wind up with libdir=/usr/lib on
>> x86_64 and ppc64. That's actually fairly common though, and most distros that
>> use lib64 know to pass in --libdir= on the configure line. If you want
>> though, you could certainly further enhance the configure script to set lib64
>> on x86_64 and ppc64 if the user didn't pass in any libdir value.
>
> I believe that if you are building RPMs, if you use %configure in the
> spec file, the arch-dependent libdir of the system will be passed as
> --libdir, so I think in that sense we are fine.

Yep, --libdir= is one of the standard flags passed in when using the
%configure macro. I was thinking more of the case of people building their own
bits from source.

> I have spent quite a bit of time on this and couldn't figure out any
> clean way to do the automatic configuration that you mentioned, so I
> will leave it at that for now.
>
> I will check this into trunk and submit a backport proposal for the 3.1
> branch.
>
> Thanks all for participating in this discussion.

No problem, sounds good enough to me. I'm no Makefile/configure guru myself,
so no clue how it might be done either. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]