On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 07:00:46PM +0200, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> I've actually queried this on the Debian mentors list (on behalf of a
> number of projects I work with) - you can find some good responses to
> that question in their list archives for March, in particular:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide
>
> Summing up the feedback: our primary focus (wearing the Ganglia hat)
> should be to produce a tarball that is as neutral as possible for all
> packaging systems.  E.g. rather than trying to set CFLAGS stuff within
> configure, we should leave CFLAGS entirely in the hands of the packager.
>
> Second to that, it appears that Debian recommends
> - NOT keeping a `debian' directory (similar to an RPM spec file) in our
> `trunk' or `master' branch
> - NOT distributing such a directory in our tarball
>
> The pattern in the Debian world involves keeping a Debian branch, and
> only that branch has the debian/ directory.  In many cases, the Debian
> branch is not even in the upstream repository: it is in a separate
> repository (e.g. on the Debian server alioth)

Indeed, the other key thing is that the repo on alioth only ever gets
'release' versions of ganglia imported into it, to hopefully avoid any
bootstrap issues.

I've been rather bad recently with my maintaining of the debian package,
but hopefully I'm going to be able to keep it more p to date, especially
with Daniel's help. 3.3.5-1 is now available in experimental, and I
could potentially make backports of it to squeeze available if there's
interest, otherwise the source packages should build fairly cleanly on
squeeze and perhaps even lenny.

Stu

--
>From the prompt of Stu Teasdale

Even if you can deceive people about a product through misleading statements,
sooner or later the product will speak for itself.
                -- Hajime Karatsu