Not to speak out of turn, but making the build process dependent on a
very specific version of libtools and autotools seems like a really bad
plan. I've never run into a debian source package before that demands to
be built only with specific versions from Debian current stable
(squeeze) especially when the goal of the maintainers appears to be
inclusion into testing/new-stable. Personally I would like for the
entire tarball to have a nice sensible autotools based build install
process "./configure && make && make install" that can be quickly
packaged up with a super minimal amount of distro specific munging.

I'm no genius code slinger when it comes to build workflows, but what we
have now just doesn't feel like what I would expect from a software
package as mature and widely used as ganglia.

-Dave