From: Jesse Becker [mailto:becker...@mail.nih.gov]
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 1:08 PM
To: Bernard Li
Cc: Ganglia
Subject: Re: [Ganglia-general] Ganglia Web Forum?

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 01:08:34AM -0400, Bernard Li wrote:
>Hi all:
>
>Recently the idea of having a web forum for Ganglia was brought up on
>the IRC channel and I wanted to get a feel from the general community
>about this.
>
>Would you participate more/less if Ganglia has a web forum?

Gee, if only there were a protocol to handle messages and threading and group
hierarchy.  People use USE it on a NETwork.  I know!  We could call it USENET!
:-)

I'd probably participate *less* if there were only a web forum.

>And if you think this is a good idea, do you have any preference for
>which forum software to use?

Something that provides a good mail-to-forum gateway.  Any software that can
cross-post in both directions is okay.  I'm not against web forums--I just
don't want it to be the only thing.

>Lastly -- would anybody be willing to provide hosting for such a web forum?

If you're desperate in 3-4 months, ask me again. :)

>I could set it up at SourceForge's web space, however Internet access
>is restricted therefore certain features (like emailing you when
>someone replies to your thread) will not be available.

That's annoying (but makes sense as an anti-spam measure), I think its less of
an issue if the forums can cross-post to the list.

>Thanks,
>
>Bernard

Jesse Becker
NHGRI Linux support (Digicon Contractor)

This email contains confidential information. The contents must
not be disclosed to anyone else except with the authority of the sender.
Unauthorised recipients are requested to maintain this confidentiality and
immediately advise the sender of any error or misdirection in transmission.

The following notice applies to emails originating in the UK.
E-mails sent on behalf of AMEC are sent on behalf of the relevant AMEC
company below. These are registered in England and Wales with registered
office at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ and
number as shown: AMEC plc 01675285, AMEC Group Limited 04612748,
AMEC Capital Projects Limited 02804109, AMEC Earth and Environmental UK
Limited 04987981, AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited 03725076,
AMEC Nuclear M & O Limited 05664844, AMEC Nuclear UK Limited 01120437,
AMEC Nuclear International Limited 03260477, AMEC Nuclear Projects
Limited 05664962  and National Nuclear Corporation Limited 02290928