Agreed. Personally, i think Harvin leaving seriously affects our chances of 
going "wire-to-wire" next year.

Randy Lyons
Sent wirelessly 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:12 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Leaving Early? What is really the best?

I don't think they have the height, weight, and strength to run Harvin plays. 
 
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Leaving Early? What is really the best?
From: "Oliver Barry" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, January 15, 2009 5:44 pm
To: <[email protected]>

Hmm…  I kind of think Harvin is the most expendable.  Tebow is the Force.  
Spikes is the leader of the defense, leadership means so much.  But we have a 
lot of speedy tailbacks who are just freshmen!!  Wait until they become juniors 
and try them running Harvin plays.
 
Oliver Barry, CRS, GRI
Real Estate Broker
Halo Realty, LLC
700 E. Main St.
Hendersonville TN 37075
[email protected]
office: 615-822-3509
fax: 615-822-7741
mobile: 615-972-4239
 
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf 
Of [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:55 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: [gatortalk] Re: Leaving Early? What is really the best?
 
I'm looking at it more like - who does the team need to come back the most?
 
1. Tebow.  I think there is a huge drop off from Tebow to Brantley
 
2. Harvin.  We have tried a bunch of other guys to run the Harvin plays - and 
no one is close.  Most other guys are stuffed for a loss - Harvin runs the same 
play and usually gets 10 or 15 yards.
 
3. Spikes.  Although Spikes is exceptional at LB - I hear that the backups are 
also exceptional.  Condsidering that the whole Defense comes back - other than 
Spikes - I think the defense would be better.  
 
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [gatortalk] Leaving Early? What is really the best?
From: Jerry Belloit <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, January 15, 2009 4:13 pm
To: [email protected]
I posted this on Gatorcountry and given the news that Percy is going and 
Brandon is staying, I thought you all might want to chime in.
 
With Tim Tebow, Brandon Spikes, and Percy Harvin considering or having 
considered leaving early, I thought that it might be a good idea to 
conceptually discuss the generic issue of leaving early and look at it 
realistically. I want to look at each of the three and weigh the pros and cons 
of leaving early for the NFL. It is easy to for we armchair quarterbacks to say 
that that people should stay in college because we want to have them back so 
that we have a better team. At the same time, there are very few of us that 
would have personally turned down that kind of money when we were juniors even 
if was only a few hundred thousand dollars. Finally all three of these players 
face the possibility of having a career-ending or limiting inury by staying. I 
am assuming that each of them can borrow or get enough money to insure 
themselves against that risk if they stay. To the extent that this assumption 
is not a good one, then leaving early becomes a much more attractive option.

I will begin with Tim. From what I could read, it seems that Tim would have 
been a second or third round draft pick if he would have gone out this year. 
The knock on Tim is that his release is slow and that he does not have much 
experience taking the ball under center. The championship game did little to 
discourage the release issue when he threw the long wide out that was 
intercepted. In Tim's case, it would seem that another year in college might 
give him and the coaches time to quicken his release as well as they might give 
him some plays under center. (I admit that I really am not sure how being under 
center allows the QB to see the defenses better, but since it is so widely 
used, I will defer to those who understand it better.) Given the salary 
difference by rounds, it is possible that if Tim can improve on his throwing 
mechanics and gain some under center experience, he may well improve his draft 
status by one or two rounds. Thus his decision has some economic logic. The 
foregone income may well be made up quickly by improving a round in the draft.

Brandon Spikes was projected a late first or early second round pick. It seems 
to me that remaining another year would only marginally improve his draft 
position as far as his potential skill growth is concerned. Here is where it 
becomes a more difficult analysis. His draft position is also influenced by the 
other people in the draft. If the draft competition is greater this year than 
next, his best economic result may be to wait. However, if the competition is 
less this year, his best economic option would be to come out now.

If I were looking at Percy Harvin right now, I would be concerned with his 
historic injury record. I would be afraid that he would be continually hurt. As 
great of a player as he is, he cannot help my team if he is hurt. Further, in 
the NFL, he may more likely be hurt since the quality of defenses is greater. 
Can you imagine Percy being hit by Ray Lewis? In Percy's case, he may well be 
best served by remaining an additional year IF HE CAN BE HEALTHY THE WHOLE 
YEAR. 

What do you think? 
 
P.S.  I wonder if Percy talked with Brandon before he made is final decision.  
I wonder if Percy was pressured to have all three come back?
 








--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
GATORS: ONE VOICE ON SATURDAY - NO VOICE ON SUNDAY!
1996 National Football Champions   |   2006 National Basketball Champions
2006 National Football Champions   |   2007 National Basketball Champions
2008 National Football Champions   |   
Three Heisman Trophy winners: Steve Spurrier (1966), Danny Wuerffel (1996),
Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

<<attachment: image001.jpg>>

Reply via email to