Scott Lucas  wrote:
30 straight running plays worked.  He played to his team's strengths and his
opponent's weakness.  That is how you win.  You don't want to win?

That's not brilliance, that's no secret formula, that is common sense...

He was playing on a knife edge.

Had the roles been reversed and either;

The star running back didn't fumble in the red zone or the kicker
didn't miss a field goal, and that turned into a 14-10 loss or an OT
loss, our coaches would have been crucified for employing that same
strategy.

How do I know? because they were attacked for not winning "attractively enough"
- this year.

I'm sure Mullen was glad to get the win - as he should be, but you know
very well that a lot of the same criticisms leveled at Addazio these
days were directed at Mullen during his time at UF.

Not that I'm letting our coaching staff off of the hook. I heard
something last night that I found very disconcerting, if true, but it
would explain a lot of what we've been seeing with the team this year.

We all know about Meyer's "re-invention" after his health issues caused
his temporary retirement. Apparently that is still very much a work in
progress. I read that he has delegated so much of his former duties
that practices are said to be very disorganized - something that is the
polar opposite of how they were when he was paying attention to every
little detail.

Considering the number of new staff members that weren't around to see
how we've done it before I could see how that could spiral out of
control in a hurry.

The big question/debate seems to be this;

If Meyer remains the head coach will we continue to do things this way,
or can/will he see that drastic measures need to be taken, and can/will
he be able to make the needed corrections?

Some of the message boards resemble the Zook era - there are some who
are convinced that he must go NOW, some who blindly refuse to question
him due to his resume here (until recently I was in this group), and
some who feel that said body of work should buy him at least a season
of adjustment (this year) to see if in fact he's willing and able to
take the steps neccessary to right the ship, or if seeing that doing
things this way isn't good enough, will once again retire (where I
stand now).

Steve

Tim Tebow (2007) - Visit our website at www.gatornet.us