Andrew Pinski wrote:

>> Yes, that's clever.  But, you can create a symbolic link to the sysroot
>> from each installation with a single command.  And, your installer for
>> third-party developers can do that for you.
>
> What are the equivalent to symbolic links on Windows and I am not
> talking about
> cygwin either?

That's a good question.  In Vista, the answer is symbolic links:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/fileio/fs/symbolic_links.asp

Before Vista, there's no solution short of "cp".  However, you still
have the --sysroot command-line option.  And, if you're worried about
Windows, see Paul's response; the problems I've described are
particularly bad on Windows, and the developer-base there is often less
used to GNU software, so the problems are even weirder.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery