Andrew Pinski wrote:
>> Before Vista, there's no solution short of "cp".  However, you still
>> have the --sysroot command-line option.  And, if you're worried about
>> Windows, see Paul's response; the problems I've described are
>> particularly bad on Windows, and the developer-base there is often less
>> used to GNU software, so the problems are even weirder.
>
> But isn't Paul's response a confirmation that it is a bug in Windows for
> not having a stat cache and not knowing when a drive map becomes valid?
> If so I would have hoped that Codesourcery would have filed a bug with
> Microsoft already about how bad performance problem it is instead of now
> trying to work around in real already working code.

Are you suggesting that we ship software that performs poorly on one of
the most popular systems actually in the field because, in the abstract,
those systems could be better?

I would expect that most large software applications (for *all*
operating systems) contain comments like:

  /* On some versions of the OS, we have to do X to workaround Y.  */

It's just cutting off our nose to spite our face to ship software that
doesn't work well and tell users "wait until your system distributor
fixes your OS".  Even for most GNU/Linux users, that would be untenable;
they're not system hackers, and they only get to upgrade when RHEL or
SuSE or Debian or ... distributes new packages.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery