Before Vista, there's no solution short of "cp".  However, you still
have the --sysroot command-line option.  And, if you're worried about
Windows, see Paul's response; the problems I've described are
particularly bad on Windows, and the developer-base there is often less
used to GNU software, so the problems are even weirder.

But isn't Paul's response a confirmation that it is a bug in Windows for
not having a stat cache and not knowing when a drive map becomes valid?
If so I would have hoped that Codesourcery would have filed a bug with
Microsoft already about how bad performance problem it is instead of now
trying to work around in real already working code.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski