Andrew Haley wrote:
> > But as you know, most gcc ports are never contributed anyhow.

Sure, but they are still free software: if the compiler gets
distributed, so does its source code.  Of couse, assigning copyright
to FSF is nice, but freedom is much more important.

Oh I fully understand that now. So most GCC ports are GPL-ed but outside FSF source tree. Hence, a plugin machinery (including for backends) would make this easier!

I also expressed (orally) the concern (at previous GCC summit, Ottawa july 2007) that getting the copyright assignment signed is a lot of work in some organizations and I would hope that the FSF might consider making it easier (I don't know exactly how, as a non lawyer I would dream of simple GPLed contributions, with the copyright owner giving the FSF the right to sue on its behalf, ...) but apparently it is not a concern.

I still believe that GCC needs more developers, and attracting them could be a concern.