Andrew Haley wrote:

Well, that's where we differ.  I don't at all understand how adding
plugins won't make it very much easier.  It seems obvious to me that
if there is a reasonably well-defined plugin architecture it will be
vastly easier to export data from gcc's front-ends to a proprietary
compiler.  It is entirely beyond my understanding why this isn't also
obvious to you.

Because it is not at all easier.  It already is *trivial*.

Before plug-ins: put your gimple-to-myIR converter in passes.c
After plug-ins: dlopen gimple-to-myIR.so

Both represent the same effort. Both require your converter to be kept up-to-date with GCC's ever shifting ABI/API.

Diego.