On Nov 16, 2007, Basile STARYNKEVITCH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For example, the "simple" plugin mechanism many people have implicitly
> in mind is just: something give you the ability to call a dlsymed
> function inside a dlopened plugin as a pass in a defined (& fixed)
> position in passes.c. I tend to believe it is not that difficult to
> implement (it seems to me that the issue is to get it accepted in the
> trunk). However, this does not guaranty at all that all the internal
> representation (e.g. the tree.h and other header files) is stable.

Exactly.  And I guess some of this could even be accomplished with
LD_PRELOAD.  But how useful would that be, really?  How far would this
go into addressing the real needs that are behind the requests for
plugin support?

Red Hat Compiler Engineer   [EMAIL PROTECTED], gcc.gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist  [EMAIL PROTECTED], gnu.org}