>> I believe efforts to clarify and expand documentation is much more
>> likely to entice new researchers and developers rather than a
>> plugin system which no doubt would be poorly documented!

This idea comes up a lot.

I'm sympathetic to it -- it would have been really useful to me, a
couple years ago, if GCC had had better documentation.

However, the two things are not tradeable.  It isn't as if we are
deciding what to do with limited manpower.  GCC as a project basically
cannot do that.

Rather, we're deciding what changes to accept.  There are existing
patches to add plugins, and, presumably, the interest and manpower to
polish and maintain them.

Sadly, there aren't ready patches to radically upgrade the
documentation.

It doesn't make sense to reject plugin patches on the basis that
documentation would be preferable.  I find it unlikely that this will
cause more documentation to be written.  Instead, I think the likely
effect is that GCC will lose some potential developers.

Tom